Who We Are
The Hydrographic Society of America Inc., also known as THSOA, is a non-profit professional membership organization, whose main focus is to provide support to its members in the Americas.
THSOA was incorporated in the State of Maryland, United States as a non-profit organization in 1984 and was granted 501(c)(3) status as a non-profit organization by the United States Internal Revenue Service in 1984.
THSOA celebrated its’ 35-year presence in the United States on April 1, 2019. With local chapters in Houston, Southeast States, Midwest, Northeast, Mid-Atlantic, West Coast States, and Latin America, our membership now stands at over 650 members.
On odd numbered years, THSOA hosts the U.S. Hydrographic Conference that draws national and international exhibitors and attendees.
THSOA is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization committed to promoting education in offshore survey, positioning and mapping, including hydrography and related earth sciences.
- To enable technologists and others engaged in or interested in hydrography and related sciences to meet, correspond, promote, encourage, and coordinate the study of such sciences in all or any of their aspects.
- To accumulate, extend, increase, disseminate and publish information and knowledge relating thereto and to facilitate the exchange of information, knowledge and ideas on all subjects and related matters of interest in this field.
- To encourage research in hydrography and the practical application of technological knowledge so developed.
- To promote the better education and training of persons engaged in or intending to engage in the study of hydrography and related sciences.
- To provide a center in the Americas for bringing together relevant issues.
- To promote public awareness of the field and its social and environmental implications.